When the Alaska Legislature passed a resolution supporting Arctic Refuge drilling, they didn’t represent us. Read the resolution below and add your name, so we can show Congress that not all Alaskans want to drill the Arctic Refuge.
We are Alaskans who don’t believe that allowing oil and gas development in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge is good for our state or our country, for the following reasons:
- The Arctic Refuge has thousands of years of human history, and today continues to sustain the Porcupine Caribou Herd, and therefore the Gwich’in people who continue a subsistence tradition;
- Protecting the caribou and the Gwich’in way of life is a matter of basic human rights, and clean air, lands, and waters are necessary to sustain life in the Arctic;
- Clean lands and waters will sustain tourism, fisheries, subsistence and more, while intensive resource extraction threatens these industries for short term gain;
- The Arctic Refuge is one of our most majestic places in Alaska, home to caribou, musk oxen, wolves, polar bears, and nearly 200 species of migratory birds;
- The coastal plain of the Arctic Refuge is the only 5 percent of Alaska’s Arctic coastal plain with any legislated protections against oil and gas development;
- Arctic Refuge oil production would result in a sprawling industrial complex of drilling sites spread across 1.5 million acres of critical habitat;
- Climate change is impacting all of Alaska, and it is impacting Alaska’s Arctic more than any other place in the country;
- Addressing climate change requires us not to burn a large portion of our proven oil reserves;
- Alaska was home to the Exxon Valdez oil spill, and Alaskans have seen first-hand what happens when things go wrong;
We are Alaskans who are resolved to address climate change while also crafting a sustainable future for our state’s economy. We refuse to leave a legacy of long-term destruction of public lands and waters, just for our short-term benefit today, and we ask you to stand with us for Alaska’s public lands and waters.